WOC 2009


I can't see Chris getting round to updating my blog with a WOC post any time soon, so I have decided to do a wee one for him, even though I have been watching all the way from my comfy couch in Trondheim! It has been very exciting to follow this year's World Orienteering Champs in Miskloc, Hungary.

Being in the same time zone has made it possible to watch the races live, even though I have mostly seen it via the silly 'live commentary' and 'live results' thing available on the event website.
I have had some regular skype sessions with Chris, so I have been able to catch up on the latest gossip. Overall Chris has been stoked with how he has gone - managing to qualify for the finals in all three

He was 34th in the middle final, which he has never run before. The middle was technically challenging, and temperatures were pretty warm! The team had a rest day, then Chris and Ross both qualified for the sprint final.

Jam up on the last control

They had to run through a zoo with tricky paths everywhere. The sprint was mostly in the forest, and Chris was really pleased with his 20th placing, the best for a NZ male in a WOC final! Then Ross came in 30th place, also a very strong result (I am excited about how fast Ross will run in Trondheim next year when he even has the luxury of his very own shoes! (-: )

Speedy Ross

The next day was the relay - some crazy things went on at the front of the men's field from the sounds of it! The top 3 runners stopped and lost their positions to help an injured fellow competitor. So the results for the men's relay were a bit meaningless in the end - still NZ came in a respectable 19th. The Norwegian women won the relay, so that was quite exciting.

Greg starting off the first leg of the relay

I talked to Chris last night before the long final and he was feeling like his legs were getting pretty tired. However, when I read the race reports this morning that is was raining, muddy and cool conditions for running I knew Chris would be loving it!

Hot temperatures again (photo is actually from Qualification)

Sure enough, sounds like he had a fantastic race finishing in 17th equal place...which is awesome!!!!!!! I am sure he will be so pleased and (I have just been reading all the comments on Maptalk) he will have appreciated all the great Kiwi support he has had on there too.

I am sure he was giggling all the way (-;

All and all it has been a great sporting week from my couch - I also have been following Team Orion Health make their way to victory in the Ecoprimal Quest, well done guys!

Thanks for the photos from:
World of O and World of O Runners

Comments

NaC said…
Hi Emily,
I like your long posts - they are filled with interesting stuff, so they're fun to read. Say Congratulations to Chris from me and Nadine. Have fun over there!
Casp
Anonymous said…
All good :-) Great to hear Chris had such awesome runs at WOC. Thanks for all the blog updates!!
Mark said…
Nice posts Em and congrats to Chris! I'm sure we'll catch up on all the behind the scenes gossip that didn't make it onto the blog when we meet up with Cris in a couple of days.

Popular posts from this blog

Journey Through the Baltic

Cloudy Peak Mission

Good Godzone Prep! The Takahe Traverse